Laundry has never been faster, easier, and stress-free without the use of washing and drying machines. The washing machine can be categorized as an important technological innovation prevalent in the 21st century. The usage of washing machines dates back to the mid-1800s, in the United States during the industrial revolution and since then, it’s importance cannot be overemphasized. Over the years, laundry has evolved from manual labor to technologically aided appliances. Local laundry methods involved boiling of dirty clothes or beating them on large rocks to remove stains. Women all over the world are the greatest benefactors of the washing and drying machines. It is because of the general perception, that some women believe that it’s the best invention ever, it gives women a lot of spare time to do other things rather than the long hours spent on doing laundry.
Different washing machines are designed for different purposes but the primary reason is to keep clothes clean and fresh for use. A washer comprises different compartments examples are, water pump, water inlet control verve, agitator or paddles, washing machine paddle drums, and a host of others. Washer drums are usually smaller in size to enable the clothes to rub together to expel dirt, unlike a dryer drum which is usually large to give enough room to enable heat access every part of the clothes.
Importance of washers and dryers
Laundry is an unavoidable activity of our existence, as long as you wear clothes daily, washing is also done frequently, to help maintain your personal hygiene and make you presentable before other members of the society. Washer’s and dryers have made it a lot easier to achieve this feat, it is not time-consuming. It doesn’t require strenuous work, just obey every instruction on how to use your machine available in the manuals given to you when you purchased the appliance. The presence of washers and dryers in the home makes it possible to do your laundry yourself without handing it over to dry cleaners who may use alternative cleaning methods. In cases of emergency as well, you can trust your washers and dryers to deliver a perfect job in no time, during winter when it’s difficult to get your clothes sun-dried, your dryer goes a long way in giving you clothes that are not damp from lack of sunlight.
How much electricity do washers and dryers consume?
As easy and convenient as washers and dryers are, it’s important to know how much you spend on electricity whenever you use these appliances. Reports show that an average dryer consumes 1800-5000 watts of energy while an average washing machine consumes 350-500 watts of electricity per usage, to know how much power you consume, multiply the number of watts with the number of hours you use it in a day, divide the number by 1000 to find the kilowatt-hour used when you wash and dry your clothes, continue by multiplying the cost per kilowatt-hour your electricity bill charge’s you, with the total number of kilowatt-hours you spend using your washer and dryer, do the multiplication in that order for a month and also for a year to know how much you are spending on using washers and dryers in a year. The figures may be what you least expected but the truth is, these appliances consume a lot of energy but its importance cannot be sidelined when considering it closely.
How do you maintain your washers and dryers?
All household appliances need proper maintenance and service so they don’t easily damage as well as your dryer and washer. We would be discussing tips on how to maintain and manage your household washers and dryers.
- Seek the help of a professional for the first-time installation. It’s important that when you get your new machine, an expert should take up the set-up stage, this is because you don’t want a trial and error for a new machine, one wrong touch could mar the entire thing so to avoid touching stories, get help as much as you can, but if you must do it yourself, make sure to judiciously follow the manual that comes with it. The guide will help you on how to set up your machine for further usage.
- Periodic servicing of your washer and dryer.depending on how often you use your washers and dryers, try to service it in the right proportion, in cases of large households, servicing is required up to three times in a year, for normal or small family units, twice in a year is a good sport.
- Regular cleaning: According to the manual, there are places where regular cleaning is required, the vents, lints, and filter screens are some of those places, make sure air ducts are properly cleaned to avoid blockage.
- Do not load clothes in the washer or dryer than necessary, overloading is not good for your washers and dryers if they must stand the test of time. Don’t leave clothes inside your machine as well, make sure to monitor the machine when in usage to avoid disaster.
- use appropriate measurements, don’t overuse water, detergent, or any cleaning fluids you are using, make sure to measure them accordingly, excessive usage can leave behind unpleasant odor or make the drums slurpy on the inside.
- ensure appropriate ventilation, as much as the washers and dryers exude heat, it requires passage so as not to choke the place up, your machines require proper ventilation as well.it helps the appliance last longer.
Washer’s and dryers do have its good and bad sides, cases of the dryer’s been good fire conductors are prevalent, the owner must not relent in ensuring that the machine is in good condition at all times, and this can be done by following proper maintenance and servicing strategy. Before sending clothes into the washers and dryers, inspect them carefully to avoid sharp objects damaging the drums of the machine, and also note that not all types of clothes can go into your washers and dryers, some will be better off hand washed than machine-washed or sun-dried rather than tumble dry. Also know that you can’t do everything yourself, consult an expert when things are not going as expected with your device.